Old Fort Bay
What to KNOW
The eastern extension of route 138 begins at Old Fort Bay. The community has a long and intriguing history and lively cultural traditions. Protected by offshore islands and steep surrounding hills, Old Fort provided a perfect port for early European fishing fleets. Jacques Cartier erected a cross west of Old Fort at Baie des Rochers during his first voyage to North America in 1534. In the 17th century, Old Fort may have been the site of a major battle between the Inuit and the Innu. The village probably takes its name from an early trading fort built in the area by Augustin Le Gardeur de Courtemanche, who acquired extensive fishing and trading rights in 1702.
Early settlement of Old Fort began in the 1800s with the arrival of settlers from England, the Channel Islands (via the Gaspé Peninsula), and Newfoundland. Today, many residents work in the fishery. Others are skilled guides in remote outfitting camps. Some residents still move to summer homes on nearby islands of the Old Fort archipelago.